Sunday, January 23, 2011

Red



The best things take time and I am looking forward to getting tomato seeds soon so that I can make this from fresh grown tomatoes. It uses so many so I hope that we get a good crop and the taste from bought tomatoes is amazing so home grown and fresh picked should be amazing. Untill then we have to buy them, and you can make this with cheap tomatoes. It will be fine. Or you can make it with vine cherry tomatoes and it will be most excellent ( but expensive). Sometimes we have chopped Charizo stirred in, sometimes just the tomatoes. Both ways are perfect.
So, you need about 2 kilos of ripe and beautiful red tomatoes. Put them into a tin or dish and sprinkle with three finely cut cloves of garlic. Add some sprigs of thyme, a handfull of oregano, a couple of bay leaves and a sprig or two of rosemary then douse with black pepper and a sprinkle of salt ( sometimes I put the pepper on when the tomatoes have cooked for about ten minutes because I love the scent of black pepper falling on something hot). Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over all and stir around. 
You can sprinkle chilli flakes, add charizo, lie sausages over all or place chicken pieces on, whatever. Or just have the tomatoes.
Cook for about three quaters of an hour at 195 and sit and read by the fire. The scent of the thyme and tomatoes is heavenly. ( If you put something on like the sausages you will need to turn it half way through.)
Eat with fresh bread, chipped potatoes, pasta. And if there is any left then heat up and stir in a tablespoon of creme freche for soup the next day.





3 comments:

  1. Sounds scrummy and looks amazing, I will have to try it and see if it also smells fabulous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. All this sounds amazing, I can just taste and smell the aromas from reading your post. Absolutely divine - and I couldn't agree more, the smell of tomatoes and thyme is one of the best smells on earth. Whenever I make home-made spagheti I always include generous helpings of thyme, rosemary and a delicious handful of salty nori flakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I was wondering how you processed the tomatoes before you add them, but I see you use them whole. Just from the way the recipe sounds, it would be worth it to splurge on some cherry tomatoes and treat yourself. I'm sharing this recipe with friends and family!

    ReplyDelete